sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Bor Kraljič <pyrobor AT ver.si>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 18:56:26 +0200

On 27. MES 2011 15:18:08 George Sherwood wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > As you may have noticed I have been working on kde4.7 update in
> > devel-kde47 branch quite a while now. And it is more or less
> > finished. But there are some problems. The reason for problems is
> > that we install kde4 in /opt/kde4 and due to that reason some thing
> > aren't find correctly. So basicly I only have problems that would
> > simply go away if we install kde4 in $INSTALL_ROOT/.
> >
> > >From what i know we install kde4 in /opt/kde4 so users can have both
> > >versions of kde
> >
> > instaled (kde3 and kde4). I think now that kde4 is fully operational,
> > there is no such user that would have both versions of kde installed.
> > Either he stayed on kde3 or already migrated to kde4.
> >
> > So I purpose that we move kde4 to /. The way we do that is another
> > question. ATM i have 2 paths:
> > * we move kde4 to / and kde3 to /opt/kde3. But that would be pain in
> > the ass. Lots of testing with old qt3 and other things that I am NOT
> > prepared to do.
> > * we move kde4 and add CONFLICTS to main spells of kde4 and kde3
> > (kdelibs, kdebase and few more) (This one would be quite easy and in
> > my opinion would be the best solution with least headaches.)
> >
> > If no one has any objections I will try to move next version of kde
> > to / in devel-kde47 branch and then if everything is okay merge it
> > with master. The next release of the kde will probably be around 1st
> > september.
>
> Long thread and I am sorry I haven't weighed in at all prior to this.
> This is in a slightly different form the same argument that we have
> been having with Gnome now for a very long time. What this has led to
> is the fact that we don't have what is considered the stable supported
> version of Gnome in even the Test Grimoire.
>
> Whenever a subject like this comes up an overwhelming number of folks
> vote for maximum flexibility, but honestly none of those people step up
> to do any of the work to bring about this flexibility.
>
> Bor is the person closest to the problem and has continuously put in the
> hard work to maintain something as difficult to maintain as KDE. I
> fully support his approach to rename KDE4 to KDE and it will be the
> stable supported version of KDE for SMGL and I have the same thoughts
> about Gnome3. I believe Gnome3 should have been renamed to Gnome and
> move to the test grimoire a long time ago.
>
> I am not a big fan of the multiple grimoires because it is an untested
> idea and I am sure there are going to be very large depedency problems
> if we think we can do something like removing Gnome/KDE from the main
> grimoires and have people add a Gnome or KDE grimoire. I personally
> feel we don't have the developers willing to put in the work to make
> that happen. This is the main reason we have been talking about so
> many of the ideas forever but they never get done.
>
> So as the Grimoire Lead, I am in favor of the Bor's
> #2 solution or whatever he feels will give us the best shot at having a
Thank you for your support.

I will continue according to plan:
1) add CONFLICTS to main spells of kde4 to conflict them with kde3 (in devel-
kde47 branch)
2) edit FUNCTIONS in kde4 sections to remove /opt/kde4 as path to install.
(in devel-kde47 branch)
3) update kde4 spells to 4.7.1 (or PATCHLEVEL++ if kde4.7.1 won't be released
yet at that point) (in devel-kde47 branch)
4) if there are no complications I will merge devel-kde47 into master.
And with that the transition of kde4 from /opt/kde4 will be complete.

As for renaming spells from kde4 to kde. I will wait that we agree on common
path that both kde4 and gnome could follow. For that we have to discuss and
agree as much as possible on whatever do we delete or rename old spells (for
example kde -> kde3). And also what kind of "magic" code in PREPARE or
somewhere else we need (for all scenarios that Remeko mentioned:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2011-August/020717.html). And
all the other problems I haven't think about. That would be best done in
another thread on ML.

Kind regards,
Bor