sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Bor Kraljič <pyrobor AT ver.si>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 18:59:12 +0200

On 24. MES 2011 16:15:11 Remko van der Vossen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 01:52:55PM +0200, Bor Kraljič wrote:
> > > And you are right: I don't intend to push it onto you to support
> > > that stuff, and neither do I see myself doing that as I don't use
> > > any KDE stuff myself (my folks are on debian with trinity repo).
> > > From my POV, go ahead and rip out kde3 spells.
> >
> > Do we have any policy on such mayor grimoire changes? We need to vote
> > maybe?

> I don't think we really need a vote on it. Just set an ultimatum for
> people to come up with a reasoned response on why we shouldn't before a
> week from now or somesuch. If no such responses are given go ahead and
> remove, if such responses arive we coudl vote on it still.
Thanks for info. It is good to know if it comes to it.

> > I am pretty sure we would find some pretty acceptable upgrade path for
> > people when we will have newer version in different grimoire.
>
> Whatever is decided in this regard, e.g. no change, kde4-* -> kde-*, KDE
> in separate grimoire, whatever, any of that can or needs to happen a
> while after we get rid of KDE3.
I think that after we get rid KDE3 I don't see any obstacle to move kde4
install path to /.

> Whether we want KDE4 in /usr or some other prefix can be settled sooner.
> Which is something we just need a general concensus on, with perhaps a
> bias to the person or people who are going to implement and maintain the
> lot.
We install most of spells to /. Including WM stuff like gnome, e17 etc. So I
don't know why kde4 (which is the main branch now) should be any different.
Atm
we don't have any argument for using costum prefix. Only the one that 2
versions of kde could coexist. That one really dispapears if we remove kde3
from grimoire.