sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Separate "developer" list for admins?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Separate "developer" list for admins?
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 15:25:16 -0700

Quoting flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>:

Eric Sandall (eric AT sandall.us) wrote [10.04.07 06:49]:
I can't quite parse your last sentence, but for the rest all of our
admins have been considered developers and have commit access, whether
or not they use it. I don't believe this is a requirement of the
admins per-se, but as they're listed as Developers and you want to
move them out I don't believe they should lose any of the
benefits/requirements we had before.

-sandalle

I'm not suggesting all admins not be developers. I'm suggesting that if
they are admins and also developers, they be assigned both roles. If
they are only admins, then they don't need commit access (they can get
it if they want it though, in which case they would also be developers),
and we don't need to worry about whether they get removed from the
developers list and have their accounts killed. If they are only
developers, then nothing changes for them since we already have all
that.

As a hypothetical scenario to make this more clear (again, hypothetical
- this is not real!), imagine that Jeremy (our main admin) had said that
he's had it and he's not working on SMGL anymore. However, imagine he
also says he's kind enough to continue running our servers for us. In
this case, we certainly wouldn't want him to delete his account from his
own server. Yet, he wouldn't be committing anymore, and wouldn't be
voting, and per policy his account would get closed (except that we
would make special considerations).

I'm trying to remedy the number of special considerations we have to
make by having a separate list for a separate role. Again, those who
perform both roles would be on both lists, and would have both levels of
access. Those performing only one role would only be on one list.

This brings up the questions of do we want the admins to be part of our project (I'm for yes) and do the admins want to be considered as part of this project?

Perhaps if we replace "Developer" with "Member" in our current terminology and add sub-groups of "Admin" and "Developer" (for now, with possible future roles as needed) where "Developer" has the added onus of a commit quota.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285