sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] util-linux, coreutils, shadow ...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <lynx AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] util-linux, coreutils, shadow ...
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:32:05 +0100

I installed the new shadow and I don't have any problems. Sorcery works,
normal su works. So I don't understand where the problem is. Both spells
install su to the same place, so it shouldn't matter that I didn't update
coreutils.

--help of both differ only slightly, the same options are supported.
From the manpage it seems that the shadow one is more featureful. Interesting
parts;

CAVEATS
This version of su has many compilation options, only some of which may
be in use at any particular site.

The current environment is passed to the new shell. The value of $PATH
is reset to /bin:/usr/bin for normal users, or
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin for the superuser. This may be changed
with the ENV_PATH and ENV_SUPATH definitions in /etc/login.defs.
(mine are unchanged)

LP

--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. --Sir Francis Bacon
Have a sourcerous day! www.sourcemage.org