sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] util-linux, coreutils, shadow ...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • Cc: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] util-linux, coreutils, shadow ...
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 02:35:38 +0100

I am sure other problems will emerge.
Just now I found out that "su" works differently.
If I am login as ordinary user and use "su" there are some problems with
PATH and root (after this su) can not run sorcery commands.
If I run "su -" all works like before.
No idea if this is a bug or feature of su from shadow.
Sounds like it doesn't load the environment, source the various profile and
bashrc scripts.
The fact that this makes sorcery unusable is quite critical. ;) I would prefer
if we kept a su which we all know and which doesn't require heavy changes.
Ok, the changes to various scripts may be trivial, but the propagation is a
problem.

Which su do you prefer? The su from coreutils which is no longer installed by default?
I just updated shadow to new 4.1.0 version and the behaviour of su from shadow is still the same.

--
Ladislav Hagara