sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] util-linux, coreutils, shadow ...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <lynx AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] util-linux, coreutils, shadow ...
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:12:26 +0100

On Tuesday 29 of January 2008 02:35:38 Ladislav Hagara wrote:
> >> I am sure other problems will emerge.
> >> Just now I found out that "su" works differently.
> >> If I am login as ordinary user and use "su" there are some problems with
> >> PATH and root (after this su) can not run sorcery commands.
> >> If I run "su -" all works like before.
> >> No idea if this is a bug or feature of su from shadow.
> >
> > Sounds like it doesn't load the environment, source the various profile
> > and bashrc scripts.
> > The fact that this makes sorcery unusable is quite critical. ;) I would
> > prefer if we kept a su which we all know and which doesn't require heavy
> > changes. Ok, the changes to various scripts may be trivial, but the
> > propagation is a problem.
>
> Which su do you prefer? The su from coreutils which is no longer
> installed by default?
> I just updated shadow to new 4.1.0 version and the behaviour of su from
> shadow is still the same.
The one that works - I know the one from coreutils. I'll go update my system
to check the difference.
If it is just missing a commandline parameter, we could probably provide a
wrapper script to maintain backwards compatibility.

--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. --Sir Francis Bacon
Have a sourcerous day! www.sourcemage.org