sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] python-devel => python-pypi

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Alexander Tsamutali" <astsmtl AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] python-devel => python-pypi
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:06:34 +0500

> > Not a long ago i had created section for haskell libraries. I didn't
> > found any good reason to call this section haskell-hackagedb or
> > something like that so i called it just haskell. I think that using
> > cpan, pear, pypi, hackagedb in section names is bad, because our
> > sections are not connected with these projects. So i prefer names like
> > haskell or python-devel instead of perl-cpan, php-pear.
> >

> The only reason why "haskell" as a section is ok is cause there is no
> "haskell" spell else you would get:
>
> gaze version haskell <-- versions of all spells in said section instead of
> just the spell :)
>
> I'm all for changing this... Someday there'll be a ruby-raa or some such as
> well ;)

I was afraid of such scenario but didn't check. Ok so my vote is for
lang-devel scheme and therefore to preserve current name.

Also i think that gaze behavior may be changed and shouldn't affect
the decision on section name. All sorcery tools should understand
where we're talking about spell and where about section. In short:
spell names and section names should not affect each other. Other
opinions here?

--
Alexander Tsamutali