sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] python-devel => python-pypi

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57 AT fastmail.fm>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] python-devel => python-pypi
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:55:16 +0000

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 13:35:25 +0100
Jaka Kranjc <lynx AT mages.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Monday 07 of January 2008 13:06:34 Alexander Tsamutali wrote:
> > I was afraid of such scenario but didn't check. Ok so my vote is for
> > lang-devel scheme and therefore to preserve current name.
> >
> > Also i think that gaze behavior may be changed and shouldn't affect
> > the decision on section name. All sorcery tools should understand
> > where we're talking about spell and where about section. In short:
> > spell names and section names should not affect each other. Other
> > opinions here?
> That gaze behaviour is a feature. But it could be expanded with a
> parameter, where you would explictly say if you want to see the
> version of the section or a spell (xfce is like that*).

Aye. I like Remko's related suggestion of, if no option is given, only
returning section versions if there's no spell of the same name.

> I'm for keeping python-devel. Imho it would be even better to rename
> it to python, but that depends on the previous feature if we want the
> same comfort.
>
> * Ethan: comes up more often than you might think?? Do you have any
> proof?

No I don't, unfortunately. I do remember it coming up several times in a
couple of weeks, but can't recall the spells. I suppose xfce was involved at
least one of the times. I remember one of the things I was trying to do when
it came up was related to regulating the sorcery-generated install queue, and
I ended up not being able to make a certain script because of it. An option
to only return spell versions would be enough for that.