sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] python-devel => python-pypi

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Alexander Tsamutali" <astsmtl AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] python-devel => python-pypi
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:33:32 +0500

2008/1/7, Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT sourcemage.org>:
> Well, hello everyone!
>
> Yesterday I decided to change the name of this section cause we need
> something more equal for python too :P
>
> Look, there are perl-cpan and php-pear. CPAN and PEAR are the collections
> of packages (source distros, or call it anyhow) for these langs.. So I want
> the same name for our pythonic section.
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi <- it's official name of it:
> The Python Package Index is a repository of software for the Python
> programming language. There are currently 3275 packages here.
>
> So -- your thoughts and opinions..

Not a long ago i had created section for haskell libraries. I didn't
found any good reason to call this section haskell-hackagedb or
something like that so i called it just haskell. I think that using
cpan, pear, pypi, hackagedb in section names is bad, because our
sections are not connected with these projects. So i prefer names like
haskell or python-devel instead of perl-cpan, php-pear.

--
Alexander Tsamutali