sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] KDE 4 installation (and co-installability with KDE 3)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juan Carlos Torres <carlosdgtorres AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] KDE 4 installation (and co-installability with KDE 3)
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:47:13 +0800

> 1. add yourself to group kde4
> 2, telinit enable kdm4
> 3. edit /etc/sysconfig/facilities and make kdm4 the default default
> display_manager
>
> telinit switch 3
> telinit switch 5
>

> you should now get the kde4 login screen with a yellow tinge.
> When you login, your $KDEHOME directory will now be .kde4, which keeps
> everything separate.
>
> See /etc/profile.d/kde4.sh for more details.
>
> The only problem that I have at present is that any use of JavaScript
> crashes Konqueror, so I have disable this.

Treeve, you're the man! Thanks for the instructions. It works great.

I just have a few comments/ask a few clarifications. So running a full KDE 4
session depends on whether the user is a member of the kde4 group? I just
noticed that it sets the $KDEHOME and other env vars to the KDE 4.

This works great if that user will only be running a full KDE4 session and
wants to run KDE 3 apps. The KDE 3 apps will also use $HOME/.kde4 as the
$KDEHOME. Unfortunately, that same user won't be able to log into a KDE 3
session, unless he removes himself from the kde4 group. But even then, the
changes he made or new data he got from running KDE 3 apps in the KDE 4
session won't be transferrable, because in a KDE 3 session, the KDE 3 apps
will be using $HOME/.kde as their $KDEHOME.

I guess in the present setup, there's no way to conveniently/easily have two
KDE sessions for each user, with separate $KDEHOME's for KDE 3 and KDE 4
apps, without patching kdelibs the way Debian does (which I heard they got
from SUSE). Not really complaining here. I'm happy enough that there's a kde4
group that does these things. I guess I'll just implement some sort of
symlink gymnastics to pull off my desired effect.

Oh, it seems that you don't need to use kdm4 to log into a KDE 4 session, as
long as the user is a member of the kde4 group, because the kde.desktop file
just contains "startkde", with no path.

And I hate to nitpick after such long e-mails, but could kdebase-workspace4
be
renamed to kdebase4-workspace? just to be consistent with kdebase4 and
kdebase4-runtime. :D

Again, thanks for your work for the KDE spells. Very much appreciated. :)