sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] AMD64 and grub ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ingo Arndt <scachi AT gmx.de>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] AMD64 and grub ?
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 23:41:17 +0200

On Wed, 2 May 2007 13:37:08 +0200
Martin Spitzbarth <m.spitzbarth AT gmx.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 23:57:39 +0200,
> Ingo Arndt <scachi AT gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > I have new s-ata hard drives and copied everything from the ide disks
> > already. How can I install grub on my s-ata hard drive to completely
> > remove my old ide disk ? I can't cast/use grub-install as it isn't
> > compiling in my 64bit sourcemage setup. Is it possible to copy the
> > boot block without the partition table from my ide to the s-ata
> > drive ?
>
> Hi Ingo,
>
> ...cut...
> Then comes the installation via a boot floppy (safest in my opinion,
> because you can see immediately which drive is hd0 and so on) or from
> within the chroot/rescue system.
> See
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Creating-a-GRUB-boot-floppy.
> Feel free to ask again if you need more specific help.
>
> Martin

Hi,

I successfully tried to use debians static grub version to get grub installed
on
my SATA-drive /dev/sda - had just to symlink some stuff as it was looking for
grub-install and libs
in /usr/sbin/.. and /usr/lib/grub/..

Now I was able to remove my IDE drive and still boot+enjoy sourcemage 64bit
:-)

Thank you for the link, after looking for "usb stick grub" I am able to boot
from an usb stick now, too.
Wouldn't have thought of that without your link.

Regards,
Ingo