sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] AMD64 and grub ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Ingo Arndt" <scachi AT gmx.de>
  • Cc: SMGL - Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] AMD64 and grub ?
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 08:49:56 -0700

On 4/28/07, Ingo Arndt <scachi AT gmx.de> wrote:
Hi,

I have new s-ata hard drives and copied everything from the ide disks already.
How can I install grub on my s-ata hard drive to completely remove my old ide
disk ?
I can't cast/use grub-install as it isn't compiling in my 64bit sourcemage
setup.
Is it possible to copy the boot block without the partition table from my ide
to the s-ata drive ?

Really, I like grub much better than lilo, but for compile from source
lilo is the x86-64's only option currently supported. I've been
meaning to create a grub-bin spell for x86-64 guys to install.
Created statically so there aren't any dependencies on glibc of any
bit type. (for that matter I've also been wanting to mess with grub2
but haven't gotten the chance).

Thanks,
- David Brown