sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] AMD64 and grub ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Martin Spitzbarth <m.spitzbarth AT gmx.de>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] AMD64 and grub ?
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 13:37:08 +0200

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 23:57:39 +0200,
Ingo Arndt <scachi AT gmx.de> wrote:

> I have new s-ata hard drives and copied everything from the ide disks
> already. How can I install grub on my s-ata hard drive to completely
> remove my old ide disk ? I can't cast/use grub-install as it isn't
> compiling in my 64bit sourcemage setup. Is it possible to copy the
> boot block without the partition table from my ide to the s-ata
> drive ?

Hi Ingo,

sorry for my late answer. First, it is possible to install grub, but
please don't just copy boot blocks around. Right now I don't see why
that should not work, but ... you know.

What you need to install grub is some installed version of grub. You
can use a chroot or some live or rescue linux cd.

Then you need to create your /boot/grub directory containing stage1,
stage2 and the *_stage1_5 for the file system where your kernel is.

Then comes the installation via a boot floppy (safest in my opinion,
because you can see immediately which drive is hd0 and so on) or from
within the chroot/rescue system.
See
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Creating-a-GRUB-boot-floppy.
Feel free to ask again if you need more specific help.

Martin