sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Stable grimoire 0.7 plans

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Stable grimoire 0.7 plans
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:24:06 -0600

On Jan 28, Andrew Stitt [afrayedknot AT t.armory.com] wrote:
> On the topic of adding optional iso spells, I'm a proponent of
> "Laissez-faire" style of picking the "extra" spells. People can and
> should pick what matters to them. So Juuso can pick some optional spells
> from the iso and encourage others to do so. However, I think we should
> be very careful what spells are formally committed to for _every_
> release. Right now the commitment is to basesystem. I think it would be
> good to wait a few more cycles before formally committing to more. In other
> words, make it your project to get those spells stablized, reducing the
> resources needed to maintain them going forward. It doesnt have to
> happen in one release either, just lower your gating bar over a few
> releases.

I'm 100% in agreement that we should repeat what we just did one or two
more times before adding more complexity. Let's make sure it's repeatable
and that we keep the momentum going before we commit to more, otherwise I
worry we'll bite off too much and some will drop off and we'll end up stuck
for a while again.

At most we might suggest that we use a completely different set of optional
additional spells this time, though I agree with Andrew it should be up to
each dev which spells they are going to add, and some probably need to get
tested each release regardless.

Also, in a few rounds I want to take a release and focus on making sure we
have security updates covered for all the major stuff, but not until we
have some more momentum going.