sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] CMS talks (was Re: website)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jflatt AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] CMS talks (was Re: website)
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 08:08:56 -0700

I don't really want to perpetuate this thread any further than it already is,
and I really don't want to single anyone out, so don't take this as a
personal insult if you do feel singled out, but I would like to remind people
that we came from a place where we had a straight HTML main page with links
to GeekLog for news, phpBB for forums, WikiTikiTavi for a Wiki and Bugzilla
for bug reporting. People complained at that time that there was no
continuity between the software and that there were too many logins. The
grass is always greener...

Jeremy is correct on the need to get documentation going. Drupal can provide
an excellent place for documentation. It just has to be used. People
complained that it was too hard (I have no idea why) and we set up a Wiki so
that people could enter documentation there. IMHO, having to learn various
Wiki syntaxes (we're on our second one with people wanting to change to a
third -- sheesh) to do documentation is not any easier than typing plain text
into a box. No one has to do any formatting other than pressing Enter to add
a carriage return or two. You don't even have to create hyperlinks, just put
the URL in there, if you have some place or thing to reference.

I will even go so far as to say that if someone has documentation to submit,
but doesn't want to touch the Drupal Web site, then send the plain text to me
and I will put it there. Also, though I would prefer the previous option, if
you want to put it on the Wiki and then send me an e-mail, you may do that.
Just don't put any Wiki formatting in the text, as that will require extra
work for me, and, since my time is limited, I'm not likely to move it if I
have to do that extra work.

--
Jason Flatt
Source Mage GNU/Linux: Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.