sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Cups and Ghostscript . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Jason Flatt <jflatt AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Cups and Ghostscript . . .
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:42:57 -0700

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 10:15:13PM -0700, Jason Flatt wrote:
> On Sunday 25 September 2005 01:47 pm, Andrew wrote:
> > > Why the espgs default and the seperate cups-espgs spell? Just removing
> > > the ghostscript dependency from cups and making espgs optionally depend
> > > on cups looks to me like it would solve all issues already, maybe with
> > > a note in the cups spell that you need espgs to print to postscript
> > > (pcl?) printers.
> >
> > Iirc the issue was (is?) that in-order for cups to work correctly with
> > postscript, it had to be built with espgs on the system, but in-order for
> > espgs to work correctly with cups, it had to get built with cups on the
> > system. So to get a working setup you had to build espgs, then cups, then
> > espgs again. (This is listed in the cups long description and I've never
> > been able to make cups work with postscript unless I follow it). The
> > idea behind a merged spell is to do the above gymnastics internally.
> >
> > Maybe thats no-longer the case though.
> >
> > -Andrew
>
> I don't remember if that was the case before or not, but it's not the case
> now. Cups does not need espgs installed to compile, nor does it need it to
> print to non-postscript printers. It still needs it to print to postscript
> printers, though.

Can we just remove the dependency, since it's now run-time only?

We can note in a message or in the long description to compile espgs if
you need to use it for a driver, just like you can compile the other
printer drivers.

Seth

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733