sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] requests for spells on ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] requests for spells on ISO
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:28:52 -0800

Quoting Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>:
> On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 15:21, Craig Van Tassle wrote:
> > What about an option to change the default system editor upon install of
> > Elvix, VIM, Emacs, nano, or pico?
> > I know we are talking about the ISO here.. and obviousaly EMACS is way to
> > big to be on there in all its glory. :D
> > As for an install I know the major user base for SMGL is linux compitant
> > but Im also thinking about when we start getting users who know very
> little
> > about linux and how to set it up?
> > Sorry just jabbing here about a couple of ideas.
>
> I am only talking about the ISO.
>
> AS for new users, we can only make sure all our work uses safe/sane
> defaults,
>
> it is still expected that the user either have linux/unix experience or be
> savvy and prepared to learn. I won't recommend SMGL to a linux virgin
> (unless
>
> I am setting it up for them) and I don't think we should cater for the
> lowest
>
> common denominator. A minimum of knowledge is expected, or at least a
> willingness to learn. Windows-style mindless point and click configuration
> is
>
> not my goal.
> If a user wants a system completely configured for them, doesn't want to use
>
> common tools/utilities and doesn't want any control over its configuration
> then they should install Fedora or Suse.

Agreed. Our goal is not to hand-hold people, our goal is to make running a
Linux
(and HURD, in the future? ;)) system easy to manage and keep up with the
latest
in packages. We're not going to setup your webmail for you, or samba to act as
domain controller, but we will give you the tools to do so.

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61