sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] update on udev on /dev status

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] update on udev on /dev status
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 23:40:40 +0100

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 12:37:24PM -0500, Jeremy Kolb wrote:
> Oh man I was just going to try bootsplash too! So is it recommended that
> we switch over from devfs to udev? I'm sort of unclear as to which to
> use (i use devfs right now).

If you consider switching to udev, i'd recommend to first cast the
current udev spell in test grimoire, which makes udev manage /udev, then
see (after a telinit run udev start) whether it creates all devices you
have (if not, tell me which are missing, so i can add them to the
udev.missing file).
There's also one devfs "feature" that udev doesn't provide, that's
modules autoloading when an app tries to access a device that doesn't
exist.
If those two points don't turn you away, feel free to test it.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz Sourcemage GNU/Linux developer
http://www.sourcemage.org