sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] update on udev on /dev status

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] update on udev on /dev status
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:10:55 +0100

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 08:41:45AM -0800, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > attached are new spells for init.d, simpleinit-msb and udev.
> > Changes to the current system:
> > - there's a new runlevel %DEV which gets started before %S for setting
> > up /dev (needed because the devices script has to be run alone)
> > - the init.d spell now asks whether you want to use devfs, udev or
> > static dev on /dev
> > - inittab gets installed by init.d now (saves a trigger for
> > simpleinit-msb)
> > - you can switch between the different /dev systems by a cast -r -c
> > init.d
> > - if you use devfs on /dev you _don't_ need devfs=mount, it will be
> > mounted in the same way as the ramfs udev uses
> >
> > What's still missing:
> > - the init.d spell should create a static /dev tree when the user
> > chooses udev or static /dev, i need a makedevices script for that,
> > anyone got a complete one lying around?
> > - /etc/fstab and /etc/securetty need to be changed by hand to use the
> > correct devices, not yet sure how to handle this automatically
> >
> > The order in which you install the spells shouldn't matter, just make
> > sure you install all three changed spells if you want to use udev, or
> > simpleinit-msb and init.d if you want static /dev or devfs.
>
> Thanks, I'll give it a go on my laptop.
>
> The /etc/fstab and /etc/securetty could probably be done the same way the
> devfs
> change went in the init.d spell.

Not sure, the problem is that we only know device names for devfs and
udev, and the devfs change only involved /devices -> /dev rename, not
changes like /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 -> /dev/hdd and the other way around. An
additional problem is that with udev device naming is totally arbitrary,
and i don't think we should force the user to use certain device names
(i currently do this for tty devices, until i find a better way).

--
Arwed v. Merkatz Sourcemage GNU/Linux developer
http://www.sourcemage.org