sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] update on udev on /dev status

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] update on udev on /dev status
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:12:08 +0100

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 10:08:45AM -0800, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>:
> > Not sure, the problem is that we only know device names for devfs and
> > udev, and the devfs change only involved /devices -> /dev rename, not
> > changes like /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 -> /dev/hdd and the other way around. An
> > additional problem is that with udev device naming is totally arbitrary,
> > and i don't think we should force the user to use certain device names
> > (i currently do this for tty devices, until i find a better way).
>
> I think for the initial setup we should set the user's environment to the
> LSB
> default. Perhaps we should ask them if they want to auto-convert those
> files, a
> la how init.d does it now making sure to tell them that it will use the
> default
> /dev layout (not devfs layout) before continuing.

The default in the spells i posted is still devfs, and i think it should
stay like that for now, there are still more than 150 drivers that
haven't been ported to sysfs yet, so unusual stuff won't show up in udev
(and some common stuff like /dev/ppp). I'll add something to the init
script that'll mknod some of those devices udev doesn't know about, but
generally devfs has a much better device coverage.

A note for people who want to try udev with my spells, make sure your
static /dev tree contains /dev/console and /dev/null. Without console
simpleinit won't start, and without null many of our init scripts will
fail.

You can get to your static /dev if devfs is mounted by using
mount --bind / /mnt, then /mnt/dev contains the static devs.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz Sourcemage GNU/Linux developer
http://www.sourcemage.org