sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] update on udev on /dev status

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: Source Mage - Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] update on udev on /dev status
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 02:09:16 +0100

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 05:05:59PM -0600, Robin Cook wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 16:37, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> > >
> > > Heh, may want to mention that you need initrd ("Device Drivers -> Block
> > > Devices
> > > -> Initial RAM disk (initrd) support") also. ;) Luckily I already had it
> > > (trying out bootsplash, which doesn't work).
> >
> > You don't need initrd, nothing my scripts to requires it, actually i
> > haven't used an initrd since testing bootsplash stuff with 2.4 several
> > months ago.
>
> Guess it depends on how far this has gotten implemented... (From the
> udev FAQ.)
>
> Q: How will udev handle devices found before init runs?
> A: udev will be placed in initramfs and run for every device that is
> found. Work to get this implemented is still underway.

That's another thing, initramfs is quite different from initrd.
Initramfs will be an early userspace that is run before init, while
initrd is a ramdisk that gets used by init. But initramfs is still in
the planning stage, that's why we have the script (or with latest udev
the udevstart program) that gets us all devices that have already been
registered to sysfs.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz Sourcemage GNU/Linux developer
http://www.sourcemage.org