sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery tmp direcrtory tree

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Paul <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery tmp direcrtory tree
  • Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:31:28 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Paul wrote:

> There is a sorcery option to remove /usr/src directories even if there's
> a failure.
>
> /tmp is cleaned automaticaly if it's tmpfs, but I don't think that's
> what you meant ;) For some reason there are people who don't want their
> /tmp emptied when they reboot. Could this be an added init script, to
> clean out /tmp at the start?

There was a discussion about this a while back. IIRC, lsb or fhs requires
that /tmp be cleaned at boot and /var/tmp not be cleaned at boot. If the
user wants to change that behavior, that's great, but I think we should
default to this as a distro. Now, if we make /tmp tmpfs by default, then
that might be sufficient to meet the cleaning at boot requirement. Having
an init script do this (for those not using tmpfs) wouldn't hurt either.

> Not sure about the kernel though... I prefer the spell to play it safe
> and not have it remove the old kernel.

I agree.

Having sorcery somehow track each kernel version as a separate spell would
be nice. For example, I could dispel 2.4.21-2.4.23 and keep .24 and .25.
This would also make sorcery more "complete" in its tracking of what is
installed. Unfortunately, this would require some sort of serious voodoo
in the linux spell (which is full of voodoo as it is).

-casey