sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Call for developer: init.d system refactoring to LSB standards

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Derek Moyes <sorcerer AT flamesnyper.com>
  • To: "Eric Schabell M.Sc." <eschabell AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Call for developer: init.d system refactoring to LSB standards
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 22:13:41 -0500

While the init scripts are being worked on, is there any way during bootup to
get to the login prompt faster?

What I mean is... can't some services be delayed starting, or maybe
backgrounded
easily, giving you the login prompt before they start? Things like MySQL, or
sendmail, for instance. On a typical desktop those apps don't necessarily need
to start before you login.

I don't start my system that often, but when I do... I really want it to
start fast!

Quoting "Eric Schabell M.Sc." <eschabell AT sourcemage.org>:

> Howdy All!
>
> I am looking for someone to refactor the init.d script system for Source
> Mage GNU/Linux.

-- Derek Moyes, dmoney on #sourcemage