sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Call for developer: init.d system refactoring to LSB standards

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Schabell M.Sc." <eschabell AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Call for developer: init.d system refactoring to LSB standards
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 14:08:34 +0100

> While the init scripts are being worked on, is there any way during bootup
> get to the login prompt faster?

The best way to take care of this is to not start your various "un-necessary"
services up via init.d runlevel scripts. Start them by hand when needed
later...
edit your scritp startup sequences via "runlvedit" or ksysv or, or, or, your
favorite tools....

Eric
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 13:38:48 -0500 (CDT)
From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
To: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Call for developer: init.d system refactoring
toLSB standards

I'd eventually like to see an abstraction of the init system eventually,
allowing spells to simply call some sorcery provided function to register
for initialization. Sorcery would in turn consult which ever init system
was installed (sysvinit, daemontools, runit, jinit, LFSinit, Dependency
Init, pinit).

Each init system could keep all init scripts/configuration in its spell
directory. When a spell calls the function to register itself for
initialization, sorcery would then call upon some script in the init
systems spell directory to find and install the appropriate
script/configuration. If there is no configuration for that spell, then it
would return some appropriate message, perhaps giving the user the option
to be guided through configuring it manually.

Just some ideas. I don't know of a single linux distro that allows init
systems to be dropped in/out easily. I know some (most?) of these
alternate init schemes allow for parallel initialization of services that
are independent.

Getting our current init.d system in line with LSB should be our immediate
goal.

-casey