sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SECURITY ISSUE

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Pierre Abbat <phma AT webjockey.net>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SECURITY ISSUE
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 22:09:47 -0500

On Tuesday 01 April 2003 11:01, Dufflebunk wrote:
> A masive trojan has been discovered in bash v2.05b. It allows remote
> access to any machine via bash's /dev/tcp virtual devices if your eth0
> is connected to the internet. There is, of course, a blurb on
> securityfocus and bugtraq, but I'm too lazy to find it.
>
> Since GNU seems to be as slow as usual, the sorcery team is planning on
> accelerating out rewrite schedule and starting today. We have decided to
> rewrite in C# as it has the portability, low level, and network
> facilities that we require.

C# or Bb, that's what I say.

phma
--
.i toljundi do .ibabo mi'afra tu'a do
.ibabo damba do .ibabo do jinga
To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
From: "Wyatt Draggoo" <wyatt AT draggoo.com>
Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage Developer Key Signing
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 23:17:18 -0800 (PST)

> I have setup a channel (not very well, never done that before) for Source
> Mage developers (and users, if they want) to have a virtual key signing
> party! This way, we can develop a trust network through GPG, and also to
> have fun. I will provide virtual cake and virtual punch (if you're
> allergice to any of the virtual ingredients, I can conjure up something
> you're not virtually allergic to).
>
> Join #smgl-keysigning on irc.freenode.net and have your key signed today!

Not that I'm opposed to key-signing, but isn't the point of a key-signing
party to physically presesnt some sort of evidence you are who you are? We
has one at a local LUG where everyone brought their passports and drivers'
licenses, and each verified the others, and *then* signed their keys.

I'm going to start preparing my virtual passport and license now... :)

Wyatt (1 of 1, that I know of...)

--
Wyatt Draggoo