sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Re: [SM-Sorcery] SECURITY ISSUE

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: sm-sorcery <sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Re: [SM-Sorcery] SECURITY ISSUE
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 12:49:31 -0500

For three seconds I was seriously considering a murder, thinking of some excruciating reply text to this as a starting point... You got me so easily I can't believe it!

Dufflebunk wrote:

A masive trojan has been discovered in bash v2.05b. It allows remote
access to any machine via bash's /dev/tcp virtual devices if your eth0
is connected to the internet. There is, of course, a blurb on
securityfocus and bugtraq, but I'm too lazy to find it.

Since GNU seems to be as slow as usual, the sorcery team is planning on
accelerating out rewrite schedule and starting today. We have decided to
rewrite in C# as it has the portability, low level, and network
facilities that we require.