sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Java 1.4.2

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Source Mage Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Java 1.4.2
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:01:32 -0600 (CST)

This isn't really that important anymore since we have a working j2sdk
source spell and a binary spell using blackdown.org's j2sdk, but the
c++/gcc3.2 bug in Sun's Bug Parade has been updated. For those that are
interested:

So here's what we did in Mantis in an attempt to resolve the gcc
compatibility issues:

(1) C++ runtime (aka libstdc++.so) is statically linked with JDK.
When you install JDK or JRE, there is no requirement on the
backward compatibility library libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

(2) Linker mapfiles and versioning have been enabled. C++ symbols
due to static link in (1) and also VM internal symbols are
now hidden. This is necessary to avoid symbol conflicts between
different libstdc++ versions. But if you try to access VM internal
symbol directly in a program, it will not work with 1.4.2. This
change can also improve VM performance (due to smaller dynamic symbol
table), but at a cost of less accurate symbol lookup after crash.

(3) 1.4.2 will have two libjavaplugin_oji.so files, one is built by
gcc-2.91 and the other one by gcc-3.2. If you are using gcc-3 built
mozilla, use the one in "jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32" directory.
Otherwise, use the one in "jre/plugin/i386/ns610"

I'm now closing this one as "fixed". Mantis-beta should be out very soon,
and the work (except (3) because it has other dependencies) has been
backported to 1.4.1_03. If you continue to see compatibility problems,
feel free to let me know (hui dot huang at sun dot com).

(from http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4694590.html)

  • [SM-Discuss] Java 1.4.2, Casey Harkins, 04/01/2003