permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Good science and Permaculture.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Hart <stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, info@permacultureeducation.com, steve cran <green.warriorsteve@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Good science and Permaculture.
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2018 09:27:13 +1200

Yes Mary..many of us are missionaries of zeal. Debate does not necessarily
mean there is a negativity. Communication is a difficult challenge to offer
and consume. There are often many threads and of course many different
interpretations depending on ones own environment or conditioning.

I have been invited to speak to a college class of 17 yr olds this week to
offer them some inspiration for their future. I am looking fwd to it to see
what I can ignite. They are from a very low decile school with an
environment of decay and abuse. But seemingly they have spirit and the
Permaculture programme they are central too has been recognised as a major
torch in a dark world. So I intend to offer them some challenges and
hopefully mentor them into and through the challenge. A zealot perhaps.

Our challenges are certainly great at the moment with big solutions needed
to put out there and follow through. I'll see what fires I can start.

Any ideas are welcome...Steve Hart

On 8 April 2018 at 01:30, Mom's Computer <murbith@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’ve been enjoying this particular string a lot and am feeling inspired to
> start contributing more as I am able, because of it. It is my personal
> goal to be a sort of “missionary” of permaculture thinking to regular folks
> who are completely or almost completely unaware of it, which means meeting
> people where they are, with their Preen and prejudices about backyard
> chicken keeping and need for “perfect” lawns and gently, but inexorably
> working at eroding those ways of thinking (like water on a rock). My
> approach is twofold - First, I’ve started a landscaping business. Second,
> I’m very interested in the need for spiritual and cultural transformation
> (mentioned in the photo that starts this string) which I think, in the case
> of our particular culture, means a massive shift in the thinking of
> Christian churches. I think of these as absolute “pie in the sky” goals,
> impossible really, but the world needs the impossible right now, so why not?
>
> The idea that we need to have a healthy debate came up several times in
> this string, but I kept thinking “why debate?”. It seems to me that
> Americans love to debate and “win” and be right. My sense as I learn more
> and more about permaculture is that there is no one right way. It all
> depends on the specific situation in space and time and even then there may
> be several “right ways”. Seems like discussion and sharing of ideas is
> what we need, not debate.
>
> All of that being said, I’m curious:
>
> Is anyone else on this list serve of a similar mind, or doing similar
> things? Does anyone know others who are not on this list serve that might
> be interested in similar?
>
> Looking forward to hearing your answers and contributing more.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mary Beth
>

> > On Apr 4, 2018, at 9:29 PM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > ​
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 9:10 PM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com
> <mailto:lfljvenaura@gmail.com>>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 8:36 PM, Steve Hart <
> stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com>

> constantly
> >>>

> >> Yes, acknowledge history and current realities then move on and do not
> >> look back.
> >> Dwell on your survival activities, networking and ongoing progress
> toward
> >> attainable goals.
> >> For me that means: split and stack lots of firewood (HEAT), prepare and
> >> plant a vegetable garden (FOOD)
> >> and do dwelling maintenance, weatherizing, etc. I realized that I still
> >> have time for online networking.
> >>
> >> If you must be distracted by politics, social ideology and war then
> listen
> >> to this podcast by Madeleine Albright
> >> interviewed on the Fresh Air radio show last night. It is worth hearing.
> [...]

Kia ora Ehoa

[image: Picture]
*Steve Hart*
*Ecology Architect*
*Designer, Teacher, Builder of Ecologically Sustainable Resilient
Environments, through Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture
and Systems Ecology.​*
Skype: tipenemanawa
Phone: +64 220 75 62 11

Permaculture Global Design: