permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Good science and Permaculture.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mom's Computer <murbith@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Good science and Permaculture.
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2018 09:30:43 -0400

Hi all,

I’ve been enjoying this particular string a lot and am feeling inspired to
start contributing more as I am able, because of it. It is my personal goal
to be a sort of “missionary” of permaculture thinking to regular folks who
are completely or almost completely unaware of it, which means meeting people
where they are, with their Preen and prejudices about backyard chicken
keeping and need for “perfect” lawns and gently, but inexorably working at
eroding those ways of thinking (like water on a rock). My approach is
twofold - First, I’ve started a landscaping business. Second, I’m very
interested in the need for spiritual and cultural transformation (mentioned
in the photo that starts this string) which I think, in the case of our
particular culture, means a massive shift in the thinking of Christian
churches. I think of these as absolute “pie in the sky” goals, impossible
really, but the world needs the impossible right now, so why not?

The idea that we need to have a healthy debate came up several times in this
string, but I kept thinking “why debate?”. It seems to me that Americans
love to debate and “win” and be right. My sense as I learn more and more
about permaculture is that there is no one right way. It all depends on the
specific situation in space and time and even then there may be several
“right ways”. Seems like discussion and sharing of ideas is what we need,
not debate.

All of that being said, I’m curious:

Is anyone else on this list serve of a similar mind, or doing similar things?
Does anyone know others who are not on this list serve that might be
interested in similar?

Looking forward to hearing your answers and contributing more.

Thank you,

Mary Beth

> On Apr 4, 2018, at 9:29 PM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 9:10 PM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com
> <mailto:lfljvenaura@gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 8:36 PM, Steve Hart <stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> LL..I do not disagree with your sentiment "Steve, to have to be constantly
>>> reminded of the negative forces we face saps our energy." but I find we
>>> often miss the reality of ewhat actually is. The world is not really a
>>> warm
>>> fuzzy place. Not yet. So to move forward I find we need to see the
>>> freality
>>> first. we need to recognise where we have come from and why, it is all