permaculture - Re: [permaculture] North American Permaculture Convergence thisSeptember! Save the dates!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jono Neiger <neiger@csld.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] North American Permaculture Convergence thisSeptember! Save the dates!
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 14:02:23 -0400

The permaculture network is large, wide ranging, and diverse. Not diverse
enough but getting more so each year. I know of many amazing practitioners,
homesteaders, educators, organizers, planners, designers who incorporate
permaculture into what they do. Bringing permaculture into schools,
colleges, farms (of course), jails, town-county and federal government, the
military. Its all important and i resist judging the way others bring the
practice into their lives or their communities. Who is to say rigidly
keeping to a thirty year old curriculum is good-bad-or otherwise. Use it
and if it works great. Others refine, add, reimagine, bring materials and
approaches up to date for new people and different audiences. Leaders
mentor, support, help build bridges and make connections so the next
generation has some of the path opened and cleared. Gatherings of numerous
different groups, allies, connected networks offer opportunities to
interweave and build strength through relationships. Few of the
practitioners I know of are only involved in permaculture and bring their
passion and knowledge to many circles, sharing and spreading the ideas and
perspective.

The "should, should, should" and "tighten the rules" stuffs our ideas onto
new generations of permies when they already are moving it ahead in ways we
cant imagine. Better to offer, mentor, and engage. "Let me tell you what
Ive learned" "Here's another way to approach that"

I sometimes think the permaculture network (to generalize broadly) could
use some serious training in building collaborative networks, mentoring,
and working with our inner process. Its new paradigms folks. Step into it!

*​Jono*