permaculture - Re: [permaculture] North American Permaculture Convergence thisSeptember! Save the dates!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Hart <stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] North American Permaculture Convergence thisSeptember! Save the dates!
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 19:16:32 +1200

While there is a huge amount to applaude in our 36+ years I must go along
with the critique Scott and put a further spin on it. Like a broken record.
There is a true watering down of Permaculture. The majority of the entire
international school of Permaculture is very weak. Yes there is a hell of a
lot of work to be done to bring all systems back in line with the first
generation of Permaculture. Presently right across the board apart from a
few stalwarts Permaculture is horribly week. Everywhere I see courses
focusing of methodology and recipes. It is broken so we need to fix it .

All conferences from now on now need to realise this dilemma and focus on
repair. Which in itself is quite simple, bring back the original guidelines
and rules of the original curriculum and academy, taught by those with
knowledge and skills. A full PDC handbook. Tighten up the rules and apply
them. Re-incarnate Institutes that abide by such framework and administer
them. Also apply the guidelines of original conferences. Most importantly
we need committed people to stand up and take this challenge on.....Steve
Hart

On 4 June 2016 at 14:20, Scott Pittman <scott@permaculture.org> wrote:

> On the other hand, Jono (in spite of your snarky comment), perhaps we
> should
> have a conference of multiple organizations that isn't advertised as
> "permaculture" but rather as a conference of regenerative techniques and
> solutions. Then we could include biodynamics, analog forestry, and etc. I
> have been promoting this for years. Since permaculture still has an
> enormous amount of work to do just to define itself as a design science I
> think that we are just kicking the can down the road by diffusing our
> energy. This is where my focus is and I am not interested in yet another
> technique, especially when those techniques seem to me to have not
> developed
> their own efficacy in bringing about change except in very limited ways
> with
> very specific populations.
>
> I appreciate Koreen's and other's energy as much as anyone and am grateful
> that she is putting it into organizing, I am sorry that they are diffusing
> that energy away from permaculture and creating a tent that is too large to
> accomplish much except to create a mutual admiration society for few days
> of
> show and tell.
>
> I think that we have to allow true criticism within our ranks if we are to
> accomplish anything but the current move toward "mainstream" and capitalism
> which seems to be the trend. Neither of which is permacultural.
>
> I remain, a critic when I feel the necessity.
>
> Scott Pittman
>

> "Death is not the greatest loss in life, the greatest loss is what dies
> inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Kia ora Ehoa

[image: Picture]
*Steve Hart*
*Ecology Architect*
*Designer, Teacher, Builder of Ecologically Sustainable Resilient
Environments, through Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture
and Systems Ecology.​*
Skype: tipenemanawa
Phone: +64 220 75 62 11

Permaculture Global Design: