permaculture - Re: [permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 21:07:43 -0700

Whoops-- hit send accidentally. To finish my thought:

On Aug 8, 2014, at 8:40 AM, loren luyendyk <loren@sborganics.com> wrote:

> To change topic slightly, I wanted to address your assertion Toby, that we
> can design ourselves out of anything- more specifically that we can design
> away all limits (not sure what term you used but this is the gist I got).
> I just wanted to make an observation. While I believe it is true that with
> design we can solve any "problem", I also believe that there are limits to
> certain systems that by nature restrict, or set limits, to growth. For
> example, you would not pack as many livestock into a paddock until they
> were side by side stripping the soil of every living green thing. You
> could but it wouldn't last. The context sets the limit to the system.

This is not remotely what I said. I said we can design solutions that are
win/win, and that there is not an imposed limit to money and people available
to support events like this. I would have thought that my intelligence is
respected enough not to need a basic lecture about systems having limits.

Toby