permaculture - Re: [permaculture] North American Permaculture Convergence

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] North American Permaculture Convergence
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 07:10:52 -0700 (PDT)

Lawrence,

thanks for the reply.  what is DHW?

I have lived more than half of the last 40 years with wood heat (and
oftentimes cooking). Some years I have done it without a chainsaw. I am sad
that right now his house has electric heat. but I own a wood cookstove, two
wood heat stoves, one-man crosscut, axes, hatchets, mauls, wedges & sledges.
Part of my Plan B stash. My guest yurt is wood heated.

Michael "Skeeter" Pilarski
Permaculture - Wildcrafting - Medicinal Herbs & Seeds

Sign up for my newsletter at www.friendsofthetrees.net
www.facebook.com/michael.skeeter.pilarski

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:17 AM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 10:25 PM, Michael Pilarski <
friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Lawrence,
>
> Thanks for that explanation.
>
> I am supposed to reach out to the permaculture elders/pioneers and invite
> them to the NAPC.  I will use ibiblio as part of that.

Wonderful. That is what this list is for.

> Any chance you will make it?

No, but thanks. I am not very mobile these days as I have so much work to
do on my mini permafarm and need to get projects completed.
New career: cutting, splitting and storing firewood for heat, DHW and
cooking year round (rocket stove in warm weather); it is surprising how
much time that takes.
Inflation in the US is on the rise again with food and energy costs going
out of sight. Time for permies to actually use renewable sources of energy.
If time and money permitted I would like to take PDC's from at least six
different teachers around the US and of course attend the NAPC each year. I
would recommend this to anyone
as a critical part of one's education, permaculture and general.

Best of luck organizing the event.

LL

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com
>From friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com Wed Apr 16 11:08:27 2014
t97660905; bh=QYmAVqNqqE629oP3rlnUFm/MMSVFSkfrPt8uqHfaRtg=;

h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:Cc:MIME-Version:Content-Type;

b=lpDWRcb2O6a/NHa5kytmW01L/8wWDSULHGvjmE0T+aROwEtzG/pEIR9L85Qe6xoxR2K4VGBWhJI+0M4ACyu3mPSs1lSrQNmrx9DQ/dnDiiBw7s+Yf+O1mp2nbkf9/2bLr9R9iGjBprHK6+oScalJqqO0DMj/7/yQovCizmm5KW4DomainKey-Signature:
a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;

h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:Cc:MIME-Version:Content-Type;

b=sp+NU7HZfzJI09wxS0QXOAeakkqrCjlhr+N3iiDyx1HSF0WMgo3kY/8U18yey41Kw0kIZpkg5qWBOnlaz0iFFRl0hb+Lk+UcmqZ0ieND4/EkNQ372p1rjHgOePgEFXvwkdCeufc4TeRezP+gTefnWmEP3/ySnnxk33SkxE1qL70=;
VC9NUYSs26hQ7_X2ayuBdUYO8Ege06Qb5pI5hQcHTEHj3u77wRiaB2HLaSCk 5mIQ-

ICAKUEVSTUFDVUxUVVJFIFRFQUNIRVJTIElOIFRIRSBVU0EgYW5kCk5PUlRIIEFNRVJJQ0EKSGlzdG9yaWNhbCBMaXN0IC0gUHJvcG9zYWwgYnkgTWljaGFlbApQaWxhcnNraQrCoApUaGVyZSBoYXNu4oCZdCBiZWVuIGEgbGlzdCBvZiBQREMKdGVhY2hlcnMgZm9yIHRoZSBVUyBhbmQgQ2FuYWRhIHNpbmNlIEpvaG4gSXJ3aW7igJlzIDE5OTggQW1lcmljYW4gUGVybWFjdWx0dXJlIERpcmVjdG9yeS4gSXQgbGlzdGVkIG1vc3Qgb2YgdGhlIFBEQwp0ZWFjaGVycyBhdCB0aGUgdGltZSBwbHVzIG1hbnkgUERDIGcBMAEBAQE-
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 08:08:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>
To: permaculture listserve <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
Cc: permaculture international <permaculture@openpermaculture.org>
Subject: [permaculture] North American Permaculture History Project

PERMACULTURE TEACHERS IN THE USA and
NORTH AMERICA
Historical List - Proposal by Michael
Pilarski

There hasn’t been a list of PDC
teachers for the US and Canada since John Irwin’s 1998 American
Permaculture Directory. It listed most of the PDC
teachers at the time plus many PDC graduates and other useful resources.

I propose we do something spectacular
along these lines at the NAPC (North American Permaculture Convergence). If
even half of us brought a special contribution or snippet of information, it
would add up to a lot.  Of course there
are lots of internet resources, but I don’t think anyone has compiled a
list of
PDC teachers.

Here
is my proposal.  Someone(s) goes through all 91 issues (as of Spring 2014)
of the Permaculture Activist. Make a data base
which lists every PDC instructor mentioned in the Events and Calendar
sections.
Start at Issue #1 and work up. Enter the first year that a PDC instructor’s
name appears. Add each following year that their name appears.  Print it
out.  That would give us a list of PDC instructors, the year they started
teaching, the last year they taught and how many years their name
appeared.  Personally, I would be
fascinated to read the list.

Of course, not all PDC instructors
advertise through the PC Activist,
but it would be a darn good start.  We
can post this print-out at the NAPC and people can help fill in the missing
pieces.  After the NAPC add in the new
names and post on-line for everyone to view.  This could be further added to
and edited if someone wants to take this
on as a continuing history project. Most courses (but not all) in the USA and
Canada list in the Activist. PDCs in
Mexico do not get into the Activist,
by and large. Who can fill in that part of the directory?

I do have a complete set of the Permaculture Activist back issues, but
it is currently boxed in storage. Anyone willing to collaborate on this
project
please contact me at friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com
- Michael Pilarski

PS. This is part of a larger North American Permaculture History Project.
>From lfljvenaura@gmail.com Wed Apr 16 12:25:30 2014
h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to
:content-type; bh=MH+nZxv8BT117B2TfTRBiO1BXOHf8dvfRWokPWosJVg=;
b=R8XBhpPN/6t0AcO0TDOcf/DHGc5ADXuHtrbUySDnd+OcLd/LYG21TlMhSj94Im1Xpn
nqkCB+BijlWdZIH67WqXjCL6NGjvIqsUYtVb7oj6cQ/yYq3Dt1iC3BOSs7aHE/er5s8i
eQI3N3CPVNetJin9b4Vv97REJ0E+pr5RKLLXfTH6H/BHj4jmhMeKSItmHnrwbzyAqGUg
AjzoY2vMvnWN/aRBXGWAT8Q9b0SH57ol3t1/91qhk4rC+7fhku+a+pM3qQ63h/atuhXw
JVuEcUnp7uk0ERvUrRlwZ90qy0eARU/r/rhRzyUk9Z8H7MKMvr7/NgS7WwQsIdRYn01C
z9Fw=X-Received: by 10.140.87.151 with SMTP id
r23mr4272624qgd.75.1397665529764;
Wed, 16 Apr 2014 09:25:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 12:25:08 -0400
To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Michael Pilarski <
friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Lawrence,
>
> thanks for the reply. what is DHW?

DHW = domestic hot water, i.e. hot water for household use, or farm too.

> I have lived more than half of the last 40 years with wood heat (and
> oftentimes cooking). Some years I have done it without a chainsaw. I am sad
> that right now his house has electric heat. but I own a wood cookstove, two
> wood heat stoves, one-man crosscut, axes, hatchets, mauls, wedges &
> sledges. Part of my Plan B stash. My guest yurt is wood heated.

Good for you. I am finishing a rocket stove for cooking and DHW; will post
pix when done. I have learned three things about RS:

1 - fuel feed tube must have a dividing plate to separate fuel from air
intake
2 - fuel must be fed slowly so as not to lose btu's in polluting smoke with
unburned combustible gases - completely burned wood leaves a small amount
of very fine white ash (powder)
3 - for optimal performance using sticks. twigs, kindling and other small
sized fuel
- use 4" steel tubing
- fabricate an L-shaped burner
- fuel feed tube should be no longer than 1' max (otherwise limits intake
air flow)
- vertical combustion column can be 3' or possibly a little more (I find
that the extra length is needed to more completely burn the fuel
- mount L-shaped burner inside a large diameter metal can or stacked cans
(5 gallon steel buckets are excellent for this purpose or re-purpose) and
pack ceramic insulation batts around the
entire unit from bottom (especially under the burner) to top and pack it
to remove air voids; could possibly use perlite - ceramic insulation is
best and most efficient at containing heat within
the burner - the goal is not to lose any heat before it reaches the cook
pot or water kettle
Properly tuned it will make a roar when operating at max efficiency.

LL