permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Aquaponics: artificial?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Aquaponics: artificial?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 02:46:33 -0500

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 2:03 AM, Pete Gasper, Gasper Family Farm <
farmer1@gasperfarm.com> wrote:

> What kind of fish are you feeding? How did you come of with this system and
> how are you making the pellets (pelletizing machines tend to be rather
> large
> scale, finicky things).

For small scale pellet production you could take Georg's ingredients, mix
them with some kind of binder
to make a dough then run them through a hand crank meat grinder with large
screen. Have two people do it, one turns the crank, the other takes a knife
and slices the "worms" off as they emerge and puts them on a tray to dry in
the sun before feeding. You could also use a sausage stuffer for larger
diameter "worms" then slice them into short lengths for drying with a
cheese "harp".