permaculture - [permaculture] Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) > Statement from FDA Deputy Commissioner for Foods and Veterinary Medicine, Michael Taylor, on Key Provisions of the Proposed FSMA Rules Affecting Farmers

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) > Statement from FDA Deputy Commissioner for Foods and Veterinary Medicine, Michael Taylor, on Key Provisions of the Proposed FSMA Rules Affecting Farmers
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 02:59:40 -0500

Food Safety Modernization Act--FDA Apparently Agrees to Revise Provisions
That Would Harm Small Farmers

-
* U.S. Food and Drug Administration, December 19, 2013 Straight to the
Source

<http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/FSMA/ucm379397.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery>*
-
*

<http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/FSMA/ucm379397.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery>
*For related articles and more information, please visit OCA's All About
Organics page <http://www.organicconsumers.org/organlink.cfm> and our Food
Safety Research Center page<http://www.organicconsumers.org/foodsafety.cfm>
.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28959.cfm

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/FSMA/ucm379397.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
Statement from FDA Deputy Commissioner for Foods and Veterinary Medicine,
Michael Taylor, on Key Provisions of the Proposed FSMA Rules Affecting
Farmers

December 19, 2013

FDA appreciates and takes very seriously the extensive input we have
received from produce farmers and others in the agricultural sector on the
proposed FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) rules on produce safety
and preventive controls for human food, which we published in January 2013.
We have made every effort to solicit input on the proposed rules, not only
through the standard rulemaking process, but also by participating in more
than 150 meetings and by travelling to numerous farms of varying types and
sizes from Maine to California. To ensure broad input and facilitate
constructive dialogue with the produce community, FDA has extended the
comment periods on the proposed rules three times.

Based on our discussions with farmers, the research community and other
input we have received, we have learned a great deal, and our thinking has
evolved. Everyone shares the goal of ensuring produce safety, but, as we
said at the beginning of the process, the new safety standards must be
flexible enough to accommodate reasonably the great diversity of the
produce sector, and they must be practical to implement.

To achieve this goal, we believe that significant changes will be needed in
key provisions of the two proposed rules affecting small and large farmers.
These provisions include water quality standards and testing, standards for
using raw manure and compost, certain provisions affecting mixed-use
facilities, and procedures for withdrawing the qualified exemption for
certain farms. We have heard the concern that these provisions, as
proposed, would not fully achieve our goal of implementing the law in a way
that improves public health protections while minimizing undue burden on
farmers and other food producers.

Because the changes to the key provisions would be significant, FDA plans
to propose revised rule language and seek comment on it, allowing the
public the opportunity to provide input on our new thinking. There may be
other revisions to the proposed rules; the scope of the revised proposals,
on which we will seek further comment, will be determined after we complete
our initial review of written comments. We believe that this additional
step to seek further input on revised sections of the proposed rules that
need significant adjustment is critical to fulfilling our continuing
commitment to getting these rules right.

Our plan is to publish revised proposed rule language by early summer 2014.
We will accept additional comments only on those sections of the proposed
rules that have been revised. FDA remains under a court order regarding the
timelines for finalizing these rules. FDA recognizes that completing these
rules is essential to protecting the public health and is committed to
completing them as quickly as possible.

It is gratifying to FDA that in our meetings around the country, we have
received broad support for moving forward in implementing FSMA in a timely
manner in light of its important food safety and public confidence goals.
Thanks to all of you who have worked with us. We will continue this
collaborative approach as we move down the pathway to final rules and to
full implementation of the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act in the years
to come.

*See also, Your Input is Bringing Change to Food Safety Rules
<http://blogs.fda.gov/fdavoice/index.php/2013/12/your-input-is-bringing-change-to-food-safety-rules/>,
a blog by Michael Taylor. *
-
-

Page Last Updated: 12/19/2013
Note: If you need help accessing information in different file
formats, see Instructions
for Downloading Viewers and
Players<http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/AboutThisWebsite/WebsitePolicies/ViewingFiles/default.htm>.

  • [permaculture] Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) > Statement from FDA Deputy Commissioner for Foods and Veterinary Medicine, Michael Taylor, on Key Provisions of the Proposed FSMA Rules Affecting Farmers, Lawrence London, 01/06/2014