permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Aquaponics: artificial?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Koreen Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Aquaponics: artificial?
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 08:05:15 -0800 (PST)

I have seen a couple of aquaponics systems that incorporated worms, which
were very interesting. Some people are trying this with hydroponics too.
Another energy loop captured.
http://vermicomposters.ning.com/profiles/blogs/using-worm-castings-in-hydroponics

I've seen two schools of hydroponics - one is super geared toward factory
modeling and exact nutrients, lighting, etc. Fairly high input but still WAY
better than monocropping in fields; less inputs, way less water, vastly
reduced waste stream pollution. And there are those who  are more interested
in natural approaches or even organic. I wonder how many minerals, etc,
translate from worm castings created from high nutrient paddock grazed
animals to the plants?

Here are some anecdotal results using worm and compost teas in hydroponics
systems.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hydro/msg0101570725792.html

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow
www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition

On Monday, January 6, 2014 2:47 AM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 2:03 AM, Pete Gasper, Gasper Family Farm <
farmer1@gasperfarm.com> wrote:

> What kind of fish are you feeding? How did you come of with this system and
> how are you making the pellets (pelletizing machines tend to be rather
> large
> scale, finicky things).

For small scale pellet production you could take Georg's ingredients, mix
them with some kind of binder
to make a dough then run them through a hand crank meat grinder with large
screen. Have two people do it, one turns the crank, the other takes a knife
and slices the "worms" off as they emerge and puts them on a tray to dry in
the sun before feeding. You could also use a sausage stuffer for larger
diameter "worms" then slice them into short lengths for drying with a
cheese "harp".

On 01/02/2014 10:37 AM, georg parlow wrote:
> > I am feeding with homemade pellets - I make them from organic oil
> > press cake (hemp, almond, sesame and linseed), whole meal spelt flour,
> > and a little rockdust. All of it purchased, I admit. I grow my own
> > duckweed to supplement. For next season I plan to set up my BSF larvae
> > production (with setting up the main system I could not focus on that,
> > and it failed), and a tank growing a small native crawfish on tree
> > leaves and veggy scraps for fich food .

Google message archive search:
http://www.ipermie.net
https://plus.google.com/+Avantgeared
Permaculture: -- portal to an expanding global network of landtech pioneers
-- who are designing ecological land use systems with integrated elements for
synergy, sustainability, regeneration and enhanced nature-compatible human
habitat