permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Aquaponics: artificial?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <robyn@permaculture.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Aquaponics: artificial?
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 14:29:15 +1100

This is a very brief article about an aquaponic system integrating
vermiculture developed locally by 3 permaculturists. They don't call the
system 'permaculture' but have utilised permaculture principles and thinking
in the design and development. The group have recently set up a second major
commercial system in Sydney in partnership with Sydney University. The
original concept was to develop an intensive food production system that
could be installed on high-rise rooftops. I think in that particular context
it's a valid use of space and technical resources.

http://utahvalleygardens.blogspot.com.au/2008/03/heres-interesting-hybrid-setup-of.html

While I personally have some reservations generally re aquaponics, I think it
does have a place in the wider scheme of things, especially for urban food
production. My main reticence comes from seeing a lot of intensive
aquaculture systems fail from fish disease, though outside of Australia there
are species more suitable to these kinds of environments than our local
native fish.

It's easy to get caught up with good/bad polarities. I suppose it's
essentially as 'natural' as a plant nursery, a solar energy system, a house
or any other system depending on technology.

Robyn Francis
robyn@permaculture.com.au
0429 147 138