permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Aquaponics: artificial?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Aquaponics: artificial?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 12:33:14 -0500

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM, georg parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at> wrote:

> I am feeding with homemade pellets - I make them from organic oil
> press cake (hemp, almond, sesame and linseed), whole meal spelt flour,
> and a little rockdust. All of it purchased, I admit. I grow my own
> duckweed to supplement. For next season I plan to set up my BSF larvae
> production (with setting up the main system I could not focus on that,
> and it failed), and a tank growing a small native crawfish on tree
> leaves and veggy scraps for fich food .

That's amazing Georg. It would be interesting to see pictures of your
duckweed pond, pool or wetland.
I have one deep rectangular pond that is covered thickly with duckweed all
year with an expanding planting of cattails around the edge. Duckweed can
be, appropriate varieties:
human food, livestock food, fertilizer, mulch. Dried for livestock feed it
has a long storage life, dried spread out on a platform in a covered but
open shed. It can be used to recycle nutrients in an water impoundment fed
with surface runoff from around garden sites. Combined with cattails it
provides an ideal environment for frogs (as long as nutrients from decaying
biomass has been adequately recycled by the duckweed) and dragonflies,
which will lay eggs on any decaying plant material of size, i.e. large
stems of lodged cattails (I am assuming they use this as I have a fairly
large population of dragonflies around this pond and they have to be
breeding somewhere), piles of cut bamboo at water's edge and decaying logs
(recommended to allow several of these in close proximity to a pond for
that purpose). Could you describe your BSF and crawfish systems? Is flowing
cold water required for crawfish production?

LL :
--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com