permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Who is this?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Andrew Millison <amillison@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Who is this?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 08:39:39 -0800

I think Vlad's quick growth towards the sunlight and trying to shade out
competitor species is a call to action to step up and race for the canopy
ourselves, making sure there are others filling the niche. I believe the
sunlight he seeks to dominate are the internet search engines, if he can
come out on top of the search, then the naive seeker will be pulled into
his glossy presentation and courses. Watching his video to raise money for
his indigogo campaign, he is certainly putting forth a more mainstream
pop-culture look than anyone else that I've seen in this movement.

He is a very slick marketer, but not unprecedented. He is over-confident.
In this day and age on the internet you stay at the top through links and
connections. You can make a splash with slick marketing but can only hold
your place in the web with support or a constant influx of money. He
understands the psychology of the internet and knows his race for the top
of the canopy and the light of the search engine is a leverage point to
attract the uninitiated student, and it will work for many. In our surface
consumer culture, he has found the least effort for greatest reward. He's
thinking in systems.

So what's my point? When PINA and PI-USA step up as organizational bodies,
we can quickly weave together a web presence built through a strong network
of links that will bring it to the top of searches and share the canopy,
and eventually dominate the canopy that Slav is reaching for. I recently
was sent the diploma I applied for 12 years ago by Scott and Larry. They
are on the move to formal organization. Jude and Wayne Weissman and others
are busy hammering out PINA as well these days. But now a true challenge
for internet dominance is presenting itself. Slav is a call to action to
creatively use and respond to change, and grow to fill the niche quick. Put
it this way: he's applied heavy amounts of nitrogen fertilizer. We need to
inoculate our own soil here!