permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ethical energy use - what is your favorite "better than PV panels?"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "RLawrason@aol.com" <RLawrason@aol.com>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ethical energy use - what is your favorite "better than PV panels?"
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 17:05:03 -0800 (PST)

Damn Laurence, you went off on me there! :-) Gasp, you're a machine nerd!!
:-))

What was explained to me about local turbines  (and I am just mindlessly
repeating what I've been told here :-) is that it takes the right equipment
to tool them correctly so that they work with maximum efficiency, especially
on a broadscale - it's very precise work and the factories that do that work
specialize in large turbines and it would cost some bucks to retool or build
one that could custom create small turbines. I'm looking at broad scale
solutions that millions could access as well as what machinists might be able
to do in their garages. One acquaintance was using a diesel motor as part of
the hookup which was primitive compared to a custom turbine. Where you really
start getting efficiencies from what I've been told is when combining things
like steam solar and fuel cells that can hold the charge.

Would love to hear about the new steam turbine, and I cc'ed a couple of
people who will be able to appreciate your description below.

On 1/1/2013 4:57 PM, Cory Brennan wrote:

> I believe there is new tech available with fuel cells that could be used for
> local energy, and will let you know more as soon as I have sufficient
> data to be interesting.

I'll look forward to this.
In the meantime I will look into small, shop built steam turbines that
utilize off the shelf components and machined and welded parts.

>> Oops, I missed this! There are some very good ideas here. I'm
>> passing this along to my machine nerd friends :-)

Let's hear from them here! :-)

> On 1/1/2013 1:28 PM, Cory Brennan wrote:
>> But why leave it to each individual neighborhood to
>> devise solutions? Why not put our collective heads together on an
>> international level, here and now? Surely we have more resources
>> combined than we do in little groups, to come up with multiple
>> solutions (there is no one size fits all).
>
> We are doing just that. It has been happening all along.
>
> OK, I hear you. We don't quite have it nailed yet, but there are good
> ideas and movement in the right direction, for sure.

I agree, we bneed to keep the discussion going and explore new
possibilities, technologies, materials.

OK, about the steam turbine, that rural coop group mentioned here from
time to time is/was interested in a new type of steam turbine utilizing
some exotic physical principle; it has a unique name and I forget what
it is and is high rpm.

>> Wood is not the best energy source, I feel, for many reasons. One
>> can create solar steam cogenerator with fuel cell and turbine
>> engine to create electricity.
>
> Tell me more about this: solar steam generator in cold climates.
> Maybe with reflector and or Fresnel lens? And again, the fuel cells?
> Existing small scale steam turbines? Time to Google YouTube...
>
> Yes, solar steam with reflector, fresnel lens.

That should work. I Imagine this to be low but useful output driving a
turbine that drives a generator. You do need batteries and possibly a
phase converter to be the most useful. Running this system w/o the
latter still could provide power for water pumping and laundry, and
certainly water heating plus preheat water for wood fired boiler.
I like the wood fired unit because it focuses people's attention and
energy; keeps them on some kind of schedule; it should never get to be
boring.

> A small scale turbine
> would be wonderful, wouldn't it? It needs to exist, if it doesn't.

Darn right it would.

I have taken a course in manual machining, blueprint reading,
calculations, measurement, layout, manual machining. I could machine a
rudimentary rotor from a piece of round plate .5" thick by mounting it
on a dividing head and milling round recesses tangentially around the
perimeter of the plate at even intervals. This would make a rotor like
one on a centrifugal water pump or a common waterwheel at a grist mill.
A more efficient design would be a rotor with radial turbine blades. A
small diameter unit of this type should work well; it would consist of a
long arbor or axle with turbine blades mounted to it radially and
heliacally from front to back; all this would be mounted in a tube with
inlet and outlet for steam. Have a vacuum cleaner blow air through a
tube and focus it in the blades of a small computer fan. It really winds
up fast. I am thinking of a more refined version of this for the steam
turbine. The blades could be cut from thin flat bar stock on an abrasive
chopsaw, formed on a hydraulic press, pressed into holes in the arbor
and mig welded into place. Mount bearings on either end and install into
the tube. Mount tube, attach steam pipe, fire up the boiler, step back
and listen to the mighty roar. Then use proper coupling and connect the
rotor to the arbor of a generator. Gearing the turbine rpm down would
probably be necessary so add a the necessary gearbox between rotor and
generator which will probably need to operate at 1750RPM, maybe 2250.

Finding scrap yards and mail order sources of parts, materials and
components would be in order. Recycling and adapting parts, components
and entire sections of machines might be a useful option. Maybe some
surplus outlet offers used turbines of one sort or another that could be
adapted.

LL
Google message archive search:
>From cory8570@yahoo.com Tue Jan 1 20:13:54 2013
tukCVOJ.jDREwnaGlljceVGsmFB3Wuw--

V2hvIGlzIGluIGEgcG9zaXRpb24gdG8gaW1wbGVtZW50IHNvbWUgb2YgdGhlc2UgaWRlYXMgbm93PyBNYXliZSBzb21lIExFRUQgcHJvamVjdD8gV291bGQgYmUgZ29vZCB0byBnZXQgdGhlc2UgdGhpbmdzIGRpc2N1c3NlZCBpbiB0aG9zZSBuZXR3b3Jrcy7CoArCoArCoAoKX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX18KIEZyb206IHZlbmF1cmFmYXJtIDx2ZW5hdXJhZmFybUBiZWxsc291dGgubmV0PgpUbzogcGVybWFjdWx0dXJlIDxwZXJtYWN1bHR1cmVAbGlzdHMuaWJpYmxpby5vcmc.IApTZW4BMAEBAQE-