permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ethical energy use - what is your favorite "better than PV panels?"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ethical energy use - what is your favorite "better than PV panels?"
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 21:43:51 -0500

To continue this thread, I wanted to mention the Tesla Turbine which I had forgotten about when I posted below.

Years ago I had email conversations with Marcin Jacubowski of Open Source Ecology about fabricating prototype components for a steam driven Tesla Turbine to run machines and generate power. Things never got beyond conversation but now I have renewed interest. Generating the steam safely is as big an issue as building a working Tesla Turbine.
If anyone has ideas please post them.

Tesla Turbine Google search results:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Tesla+Turbine&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Tesla Turbine page, Open Source Ecology wiki
http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Tesla_Turbine
On the tesla turbine
On the Tesla turbine - proceed to the simple steam engine, please.
"I know of one commercial tesla pump, and it is very expensive. I know of no commercial Tesla engines. Point is - to do this right - with longevity and proper seals - is advanced technology, and to my knowledge, not yet the realm of 'appropriate technology' engineering. Sure, small toys work as examples, just like the Picoturbine works to power an LED light.
We considered the Tesla turbine seriously, I had materials quotes lined up - and then I found out that a typical implementation is 40% efficient, and the best documented one is 60 at http://obilaser.com. Piston steam engines are but 15% efficient, steam turbines can be up to 60% efficient but are very complicated and expensive to make. Note btw that most energy is lost in the energy conversion process (to make steam from water), the engine itself has nothing to do with it and even the most optimal design will still have fairly low energy efficiency ratios. Compressed air can be more efficient, but a good full system (so including compressor too is difficult to make)
When I recognized this - and considered limited working fluid in a solar concentrator sytem - I said bye-bye turbine.
I can provide a much longer discussion on the above."

Tesla Turbine Wikipedia Page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_turbine
"The Tesla turbine is a bladeless centripetal flow turbine patented by Nikola Tesla in 1913. It is referred to as a bladeless turbine because it uses the boundary layer effect and not a fluid impinging upon the blades as in a conventional turbine. The Tesla turbine is also known as the boundary layer turbine, cohesion-type turbine, and Prandtl layer turbine (after Ludwig Prandtl). Bioengineering researchers have referred to it as a multiple disk centrifugal pump.[1][2] One of Tesla’s desires for implementation of this turbine was for geothermal power, which was described in "Our Future Motive Power".[3]"
"Tesla wrote, "This turbine is an efficient self-starting prime mover which may be operated as a steam or mixed fluid turbine at will, without changes in construction and is on this account very convenient. Minor departures from the turbine, as may be dictated by the circumstances in each case, will obviously suggest themselves but if it is carried out on these general lines it will be found highly profitable to the owners of the steam plant while permitting the use of their old installation. However, the best economic results in the development of power from steam by the Tesla turbine will be obtained in plants especially adapted for the purpose." [4]"