permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ethical energy use - what is your favorite "better than PV panels?"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ethical energy use - what is your favorite "better than PV panels?"
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 12:40:11 -0500

On 1/1/2013 12:05 PM, Cory Brennan wrote:
Yes, some very good ideas, but I deal with urban systems which must
be retrofitted, not torn down and rebuilt (which would be way

Most of my suggestions do not require tearing down anything, only infill, retrofit, redesign and remodel. With steam generated electric power you have the same thing as microhydro only you are using rotors turned by wood and water rather than gravity and water, using locally sourced materials. If somehow you could put together community or neighborhood toilets or even sewage lines connecting toilets in homes coupled with biogas generation equipment you would have a source of fuel for cooking, DHW production and for the electric generator which could driven by any 4 cycle engine retrofitted with natural gas carburetion (there is a company in West Virginia that sells all of these components). Neighborhood biogas generation with community toilets (less flush water) would likely be a properly scaled system
that would be the easiest to manage.

WATER:

We haven't even begun to discuss water catchment, purification, conservation and recycling. Systems dealing with these issues are some of the e3asiest to construct and put in place for reliable operation.

We need more ideas about water use and recycling.

wasteful, and just lazy design). This is a problem that I feel needs
to be confronted with the group genius at work, really digging in and
looking for the best solutions to the existing structure - not some
pie in the sky scenario. We are here, we did do what we did, and now
we are functioning via the use of fossil fuels on massive scales.
What is the design solution?

Lets work on it!