permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ethical energy use - what is your favorite "better than PV panels?"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ethical energy use - what is your favorite "better than PV panels?"
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 10:12:33 -0800 (PST)

I'm thinking neighborhood sized energy solutions may be more within reach.
There are cooperatives buying solar panels currently, reducing the price. I
have seen some interesting fuel cell, geothermal, cutting edge solar, and
high efficiency wind tech that looks interesting. I don't know of any company
that sells it though. We need portable energy solutions beyond PV. The
technology exists, it's a matter of making it available. I like the super
efficient wood stoves that produce enough electricity to charge your phone.
But in the US, there is going to be more demand, realistically. I think it
would be easier to find a technology that uses solar or wind power (I don't
like wave power sources because it messes up the ecosystem too much - you
should be able to capture the energy right where you use it, ideally), than
to get everybody to give up what they use now like refrigerators, etc.

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow
www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition