permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Oil spill - solutions?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Oil spill - solutions?
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 20:41:35 -0700 (PDT)

The person who developed the microbes for microbetech is Hugh Muir, son of
the naturalist John Muir. He comes from his father's tradition of "do no
harm" to the natural world. Microbe remediation is similar to remediation by
fungi and works on the same principles. The microbes are not modified - they
are encased in organic solutions that help them stay in the system long
enough to gain a foothold and do their work. They are naturally occurring
microbes, that are hand picked because of the functions they wear in the
system, just like inoculants. Which is worse? A monocrop field that has been
robbed of almost all soil life and must be artificially force fed to grow
anything, or using microbes to start the process of a healthy system?

Why is it ok to bring fungi into an area but not microbes? As Toby says,
microbes are constantly evolving. They do well when there is a balance in
the system and mutually beneficial connection amongst many elements. When we
bring nitrogen fixer inoculants into a system, these are microbes brought in
from outside. When we import soil or organic material, we are bringing in
outside microbe systems that may have been altered by man's interference.
These things tend to sort themselves out in a healthy system, such as an
intact wetlands.

The best thing to do would probably be to go to one of the places microbe
remediation is used and see how the ecosystem is doing, years later. Microbes
cleaned up an almost totally toxic Sea of Japan and allowed the fishing
industry to survive. They have accomplished miracles in cleaning up toxic
waste in ecosystems when used with care and responsibility.

It seems that is the key, how responsible are the parties? These guys seem
very, very idealistic and ethical to me - they love the earth and want it to
survive with beauty. I am not a microbiologist or genetic expert, so have to
go with what I've seen, what I've thoughtfully observed, what I do know, and
some gut instinct.

Cory