permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Trends in America

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Trudie Redding" <tredding@mail.utexas.edu>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Trends in America
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:29:25 -0500

Good analogy, I will keep it in mind.

Trudie
512-471-8044
Fax 512-471-5532

-----Original Message-----
From: permaculture-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:permaculture-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Toby
Hemenway
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:46 PM
To: permaculture

A story I may have told before: On opening day of a PDC, the venue was
kind enough to put out mugs, each with a participant's name on it. They
asked that each person be responsible for rinsing and putting away their

own mug. The system worked beautifully; the classroom stayed free of
scattered mugs; each was back in the rack at the end of the day. Then,
come our mid-class day off, the mugs were put through an industrial
sterilizer and the labels were removed. They went back to the classroom
unlabeled. Within a few days, mugs were everywhere--under chairs, on
shelves, left outside, many full of molding tea leaves, and another
couple of dozen mugs had been commandeered from elsewhere since no one
could find a clean mug and it was easier to grab another from the stash.

Soon almost every mug the place had was in our classroom, dirty and
haphazardly stuck anywhere.

I was pretty surprised, since the participants seemed like decent folks.

The lesson I took home was twofold: private ownership is one way to
encourage responsibility toward resources, and, a culture that is used
to private ownership is liable to behave irresponsibly toward resources
held in common.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com