permaculture - [permaculture] Trends in America

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Read" <steveread@free.fr>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Trends in America
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:17:43 +0100

Hello, Toby Hemenway,

I don't knee jerk, in fact I reread my posts several times before sending, my
contention that extrapolating from mugs as being fallacious and anodyne I
believe still stands, no you didn't mention land yet how can issues of
private ownership possibly not encompass land tenure issues, I was also
responding not just to your post but to the developing theme in general.

In what way does iterating your "private ownership is /one way/ to encourage
responsibility towards resources", in any way address the arguments I have
presented about the isssues abounding around private ownership? As far as I
can see in no way, yes I agree that education is needed for commons to be
treated reasonably in most 'western' cultures, Yet all i see here is some
contentions that private ownership is good; " accountability doesn't slow
chipping and breakage but ownership does" how astonishingly specious can you
get? Where/how does onwership slow chipping and breakage of mugs, or
whatever, and has nobody ever seen privately owned gardens that have unmowed
(great!) lawns and piles of trash? I most certainly have.

Yes Private versus Commons is an emotional issue, I try and stay calm and use
moderated language but when confronted with blanket platitudes like "And care
for the commons can't occur when all things are viewed as resources rather
than as the sources of life." CAN'T? where does that come from ? And things
Are resources but what we see with private ownership is "This is mine I will
do with it as I please" and that attitude is supported by the State and that
attitude is destroying the Earth. The traditional Commons resources were
tended by all for the good of all, it was in their interests to so do or all
suffered.

If I'm designing communities, I am fully aware of the issues around
population density and anomie I design with this as a factor.

SteveR