permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Trends in America

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Trends in America
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 13:53:21 -0400

I second that about Toby's eloquence.? I couldn't hammer a nail straight into
a piece of wood, but I know how to garden and design backyard?food forests.
We grow as much food as possible on our property (88 fruit, nut and seed
trees with appropriate understory?stuff)?but I doubt it is 50%, but our town
has a growing number of neighborhood exchanges where people exchange produce,
seeds and plants which is a better solution.

Furthermore, we have several highly sustainable local organic farms which are
highly worth supporting.? We have people very active in our local
permaculture community who have no land available to grow food. And others
who are doing extremely valuable work and don't have time to make
growing?food their main focus.? We have a local engineer who is permaculture
trained and designs wind turbines and is planning on working on a prototype
of a smaller rocket stove.? He is doing his share even if he only growns 1%
of the food he eats.

Larry Saltzman