permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Trends in America

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Read" <steveread@free.fr>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Trends in America
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:54:18 +0100

Hello,

Whilst finding the didactic tone(one I never use!!!) of Marjory difficult I
agree with the sentiment, although having no idea about the current situation
of Isabel nor her experience so I'm not directing the following her way
specifically. Also ite European orientated.

I have this riddle that I propose sometimes to people:- If I'm a good
designer then my personal situation is abundant so I don't need to charge
much, if at all for teaching courses, if my personal situation isnt' abundant
then should I been teaching courses because perhas I'm not the designer I
could be.

My personal approach as someone who teaches PdC's is to ask for expenses + a
share of the 'pot' if any. This has meant success for me in reaching outside
of the ready made audience of the light green wasp bourgeoisie, with all due
respect; It also means I feel I'm fulfilling the PmC ethic of giving away
surplus, especially as I tithe from any revenue to PmC projects that need
some wad. When I have a scan through the course listings for eg on the Brit
Perm site I find myself troubled by the prices, this is obviously a flaw on
my part and I'm working on it. As a designer my fees will vary from
0+expenses to quite expensive + expenses depending on the client/s.

For Isabel specifically I wondr if you have thought about mainly
concentrating on installing? Not just your place but also all the
'bio-regional' infrastructure so well described in Chapter 14 onwards of the
designers manual?

SteveR