permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Trends in America

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marjory <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Trends in America
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:37:11 -0500

Hello everyone,

Well, this thread has gotten long since I've had a chance to write back. Toby, I don't want to sound harsh (as text can often be), but yes, if you do not have the skills to grow food and manage your water, then yes, I think you and most of the other p.d.c. teachers should stop teaching until you do. The last century with its luxury of fossil fuels has allowed our populace to lose the basic skills of providing for ourselves. Throughout pre-fossil fuel history, at least 95% of people primarily worked to produce food. There has always been lots of room for diversity, sharing and exchange; goat herders, vegetable growers, herbalists, orchardists, beekeepers, and hunters - all require different skill sets and abilities. As fossil fuels decline, humanity will have to turn back to the land or it will starve. Permaculture offers the best potential for an easier transition, but only if it's teachers can offer something of real value.
Marjory

Toby Hemenway wrote:
Marjory wrote:
The absolute best thing you can do for your community is to quit teaching until you have implemented a design that provides at least half of your food and income needs, and all of your shelter and water needs.
Guess I better stop teaching, then. So should most of us.

Pardon my continuing curmudgeonliness, but formulas like that are not permaculture--they are blanket prescriptions done without assessment of individual needs or resources. Nothing in permaculture suggests that you need to grow food yourself. Instead, we need to make sure that our food needs are taken care of in a sustainable, ethical manner, and there are many ways to do that. Same with shelter, water, and all the invisible needs too. A permaculturist always has multiple ways of meeting important functions. If someone is a great builder and a lousy gardener, it would be foolish for them to beat their head against the wall trying to grow food. They'd quickly abandon the whole effort, saying "permaculture doesn't work for me!" Or they could build wonderful shelter for others and trade or use the income to pay for local, healthy food.

Permaculture is not about taking care of your own needs by yourself. It's about creating relationships among the parts of a community so that the community meets its needs in a sustainable way. And that community can be a household, a village, a bioregion, or planet.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com