permaculture - Re: [permaculture] distilled water

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] distilled water
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:42:44 -0700

SALS3 wrote:
empty pure water iMHO not only brings more nutrients into the cell but carries away more waist. I agree other water is to full to pick up waste where as distilled water is pure empty and can hold more waste.
I'm gonna put on my science hat here. Water is capable of holding vast quantities of minerals and other compounds. The miniscule amounts of minerals in non-distilled water are on the order of one thousandth to one millionth of the total that water can hold. For example, salt in most tap water is at 5 to 100 parts per million, but water can hold 260,000 parts per million, or 26% salt. So I have a difficult time believing that removing trace amounts of minerals would significantly increase water's ability to take away wastes. I suppose from a homeopathic point of view, removing every last trace of minerals from water might create a "vacuum" that would attract more nutrients to the water, but that's not a scientifically supportable hypothesis.

On the other hand, there is good evidence that distilled water aggressively attracts minerals (it sure sucks them out of pipes and such) and is thought to deplete the body of minerals if used extensively. Steve Read's post cites some of the evidence.

There's nothing in nature to suggest that distilled water is good for animals to drink. Plants and animals live on non-distilled water (and the biodynamics folks consider distilled water to be dead and thus harmful to life) so I wouldn't experiment on myself.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com